Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Paris continued... and a bit of London

Hello my dears!
So we have much cheaper internet in London than we did in Paris so I thought I'd toss up a better update than you've been getting of late (your patience has been much appreciated).  So I can't recall what I've told you about Paris, so if any of this is a repeat I'm very sorry. 
So Paris is fabulous.  LOVE IT.  Notre Dame was the only Cathedral that actually felt good to me.  I actually felt close to God there as opposed to the overblown gilt grandeur thrown at you in the several others I've visited in the last few weeks.  And the view from the towers amid those fabulous stone gargoyles is worth the climb and 4 euros definitely.  Paris is meant to be photographed btw-- just gorgeous.  The Seine frames everything so beautifully.  There's a rhythm under the city, a current that kind of strokes the artistic ego... it's a city meant for artists and lovers and those who want to be artistic and lovely ;).  I visited this bookshop across the river from Notre Dame called Shakespeare and Company that was floor to ceiling, two floors of books, all kinds, poetry, drama, philosophy.   I thought I was going to weep from the beauty of it.  Old gorgeous volumes as well.  Loved it.  Like I've mentioned the art in Paris is incredible.  I much preferred the Musse Rodin and Musee d'Orsay to the Louvre.  The Louvre sucks energy out of you... after 5 hours in it I needed crepes and a nap lol.  I got sucked into the Egyptian section and didn't get out for 40 minutes, no joke, there was no end!  Though there are amazing works of are there no question.  Da Vincis, Botticellis.  Good stuff.  It's just not as invigorating as the others.  The Rodin museum had a beautiful garden full of his sculptures.  His Thinker was very cool in person.  Sarah and I ironically contemplated him for a while :).  We saw the Modern art museum (the Center Pompidou) on Sunday, they had a cool exhibit on art and the moving image-- neat stuff.  Mad me think, and the building itself is incridible.  It has pipes and such on the outside.  I loved it around there cuz all these music students were out playing.  I love how there are just random art exhibits everywhere in Paris.  We stumbled on excellent ones on one of the brideges over the Seine and in the Jardin du Luxembourg.  Fabulous stuff.  I learned tons and grew definitely.  Recommend the city to anyone.  And if Italy spoiled ice cream for me in the states, Paris definitely ruined pastries for me.  SO GOOD.  Never will I taste croissants like that.  Pure pleasure from heaven I tell you.  Enough said.
We got into London 8 this morning their time.  Rode the chunnel.  It was only 3 hours or so.  We saw the British library today-- it was incredible.  They have King George III's library in a giant glass cube in the middle of the library-- awesome sight.  They have these vast holdings in there and they display some of it-- I was nerding out.  I saw Shakespeare's First Folio, and an ancient copy of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, and Chopin music written by the man himself (I kid you not), Beatles's lyrics, the Wycliffe Bible, the Magna Carta, notes from Leonardo de Vinci's notebooks... the list goes on.  Just incredible.  They had a cool temporary exhibit on the history of the press in England as well and you could design your own front page.  Very cool.  My top story was soccer (football) of course.  MMMM football. 
So we're having a good time.  I met two great Italians tonight in our hostel (which is fabulous and clean btw, very nice) and had a fabulous enlightening conversation about similarities and differences between our languages and cultures.  They think I should move to the north of Italy where their from and teach English lol.  I would have a great time, but I'd miss home of course.  Hopefully we get to hang out again.  Like the Italian people.  They agree that their driving is nuts lol.
We're going to attempt to visit Oxford tomorrow if we can figure out the bus schedules.  Very efficient if you can get the drift.  Love the language here of course... you guys know me, nerd that I am.  I'll probably have a British accent for a bit when I get back.  Please be patient with me.  I'll write more in a few days.  Love you all dearly!  We'll be back soon.
Kristi

No comments: