Friday, May 26, 2006

The Birthplace of Western Civilization

Hello all my dearest loves!
I'm writing this update in Green in honor of Greece's dusty heat.  How things grow here I don't know... it's like a grill from like 6am to 9pm, no joke and I have the Mediterranean skin to prove it :).  Athens is a pretty cool city though, I met cool people (mostly traveling Anglos) including a lit nerd from Dublin who was a blast to chat with.  It's nice to have some breaks when you're traveling with the same person and only that person for this long (I'm sure Sarah wants to kill me most days, but she's a dear and only tells me about it occasionally ;) ).  Seeing the ancient sites was incredible, even with the hordes of tourists yelling in Spanish and Japanese lol.  The water is gorgeous as well, the bluest I've ever seen.  I can see why people vacation on the islands here. 
This trip has been marvelous for me because I'm learning how some things never change no matter where you are (such as teenage angsty graffiti, mating pigeons, and PDA).  It makes me feel like I'm actually part of the great human family the gospel refers to.  And even though some cultural things boggle my US mind I can find the differences charming and tasty (though I'd prefer to remember Italian driving fondly instead of trying to live through it, heehee).  The most important thing I'm learning about is myself though.  This journey has given me time for reflection and introspection and that alone is reason enough to have shelled out the time and money and gone so far from home.  I love you all very much.  I'm undeservedly lucky, I have the smartest, most understanding, and beautiful friends in the world.  Thanks for loving me back.
Kristi
PS- We'll be home in 3 weeks.  Our next official stop is Florence, Italy.  After that is Rome, Paris, and LONDON.  :).

No comments: