Tuesday, May 30, 2006

FLORENCE (Firenze)

Hello my lovelies!
 
So Sarah and I spent the day in Florentine museums.   It was a beautiful, wallet-emptying experience.  No student discounts and they won't let you photograph anything, flash or no, so that you have to buy their over-priced postcards.  Nice huh?  I did get to see some amazing artwork though, including the David which was AMAZING.  You just have to stare at it, it holds your eyes like the divine on earth.  I was completely in awe.  It's huge and just masterful.  Can't do it justice, but his expression especially, it just captivates you.  I saw a bunch of Botticelli and a little Da Vinci today as well, very nice, and whole lot of Madonnas.  Give it up for the Virgin Mary. 
Rome was a very cool city, what with the Christian and Pagan history just teeming out of it streets.  Everywhere you walk you stumble on something historical and photo-worthy.  Ruins, churches, take your pick.  The Pantheon was astounding.  I stared at the dome for ages (poor Sarah had a random allergy attack in there though.  We've decided that she must be allergic to sleazy men...).  The Colosseum was incredible as well obviously.  We didn't have enough time to go inside it, but it cuts a mean figure across an Italian sunset.  Beautiful.  Still pinching myself that I got to see it in person.  After an hour and a half in line we got into see the Vatican museum (took an hour and a half each to get into each museum today as well... thanks Italia lol).  It has plenty for the educationally minded, books, globes, Madonnas ;), and of course the Sistine chapel, which I couldn't get enough of.  Simply astounding.  You much see it.   Suck it up, go to Italy, wait in line, pay the ten euro, walk through the museum and the Japanese tourist groups, and LOOK.  You won't regret.  I'm a fuller person for the experience.  It makes you feel closer to God.  It really does.
So we see a bit of Tuscan countryside tomorrow and then it's off to Paris!  We met a sweet British couple in line today who gave us some money-saving tips for London.  God me all psyched up for it... heehee, England!  I love you all dearly and will talk with you soon! Ciao bellas!
Kristi
PS- Less pigeons here lol.

No comments: